MEETING REPORT BY PPN SECRETARIAT MEMBER JOHN O’SULLIVAN
Meeting 29 October 2020, 2.30 pm
Present: M Scannell, B Fitzgerald, E O Reilly, Tralee Chamber, Enterprise Irl, Failte Irl, ITT, Killarney Tourism, Niamh O’Sullivan, T Hayes, J Griffin, B Looney, Cllrs M O’Shea, N Kelliher.
- Broadband, B Looney discussed roll out of the Hubs- these are 300MB from satellite, not fibre. KCC got grant and set up 9 hubs, mainly in Iveragh region. Areas with fibre Broadband available were excluded. A discussion followed on the need for KCC to facilitate other hubs in the fibre areas in community centres, public buildings, etc with the need for work from home, students who may not have BB in homes. He confirmed he would use the PPN contacts and seek grant aid to identify sites to do so. There is a Digital Plan in draft.
- LEO gave update on the Restart Grants Plus for businesses for which the closing date is 31 October. This grant doubles the first grant. Other initiatives on the LEO site. €19m distributed in Kerry so far.
- Failte Irl gave update, preparing for when the current lockdown is over with national marketing plan. also have a restart grant for tourism and B&Bs
- Education – ITT are offering additional courses and will send details to PPN to distribute to encourage take up.
- Kerry Economic Plan – this is being drafted separate from the CDP and the LECP. No update.
Meeting finished 3.30