Please see below extremely important draft document with regards to the establishment of Strategic Policy Committees within the County of Kerry. On each proposed Strategic Policy Committee, there will be PPN representatives , who will than feed back to the Kerry PPN Secretariat and the wider community. According to the Department of Rural and Community Development,
” Local Authorities must ensure that ALL voluntary representatives on their Boards and Committees
come through the PPN process”.
The primary role of the Strategic Policy Committees is to assist Kerry County Council in the formulation, development and review of policy. In this role, they will harness the experience and expertise of relevant external Bodies and enhance the overall role of Councillors by providing a platform for an input into policy formulation at an early stage. They will also have a function in other non statutory policy fields such as:
• Policy related to development of Work Programmes and the establishment of priorities for particular services.
• Consideration of the needs of people with disabilities in the formulation and implementation of relevant policies.
• Integration of sustainability principles to particular services.
• The strategic monitoring of Local Authority services
These Committees will not have power to decide or determine Council Policy, this power will continue to be a function of the Council acting as a Body. However, if the Strategic Policy Committee system is to work in a meaningful way, it will be important that the Council take full cognisance of the work of the Committees when deciding on policy matters.
The five proposed SPCs are as follows:
1. Economic Development, Enterprise, Tourism and Community SPC
2. Roads, Transportation and Marine SPC
3. Environment, Climate Change and Emergency Planning SPC
4. Housing SPC
5. Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht SPC
Membership of the SPCs will comprise of Elected Members and representatives of the following Sectors:
Agriculture / Farming
Environmental / Conservation through the P.P.N.
Development / Construction
Business / Commercial
Community / Voluntary through the P.P.N.
Social Inclusion through the P.P.N.
Approved Housing Bodie
Údarás na Gaeltachta
The Draft SPC Scheme is also available on the Kerry County Council Internet site – www.kerrycoco.ie